2014 is here! Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy has already headlined a festival in Rio and has started a tour of Great Britain.
This page will document Carl and his band'a activities throughout the year including comments from Carl's fans.
Looking forward to another great year!
Hello Everyone! We just started our UK Tour in Hull at The Fruit on Friday, followed by The Rock and Blues Festival at Skegness on Saturday where there was a great crowd of around 1500 people. We are now going back into rehearsals to take a look at two pieces for the tour that we haven't played before and if this works out Simon will be playing the Stick on a piece of music that the BBC banned many years ago called Jerusalem. Well known to all ELP fans and one of my favourite pieces. I also wanted to play the piece of music that was probably the first piece of music ELP played together in our initial rehearsals, which believe it or not was Schizoid Man.
ReplyDeleteThe Carl Palmer ELP Legacy set has changed radically and I would say there are about four or five new pieces of music and each piece ties in the true reason for me wanting to call the group Carl Palmer's ELP Legacy.
The set list includes:
* Ride of the Valkyrie into
* Rondeau des Indes Galantes
* Welcome Back
* Fugue in D minor
* Jerusalem
* Mars, The God of War
* Schizoid Man
* Guitar solo
* Trilogy
* Bass solo
* Carmena Burana
* America
* Pictures or Tarkus
* Fanfare
* Peter Gunn
* Nutrocker
I am very excited about playing these dates in the UK as it's always a great pleasure to come back to play to everyone who has supported me throughout my long and illustrious career.
We do have available now at the concerts the new DECADE DVD complete with interviews with the band and for those of you who haven't got it already I have updated my ANTHOLOGY album so it now incorporates pieces from Working Live Volumes 1, 2 & 3. We also have a new T- SHIRT with the Carl Palmer ELP Legacy logo.
For all you drummers out there I will be playing my signature snare drum which I named VENUS. For the record this has been one of the most popular snare drums LUDWIG has produced in their signature series.
Looking forward to seeing you all starting at The Cheese & Grain in Frome, Somerset on Saturday February 8th. It's great to be playing on home turf!
I will be coming out after the shows to sign along with Paul and Simon. But just be patient it takes me 15 minutes to get changed but in the meantime Katie will be there at the merch desk to chat to you.
See you soon!
Carl
Hey Carl! Make sure you bring Katie when you come to America again. I can't wait to girl-talk with her while you're changing! Lol. Can't wait to hear Paul rip it on Schizoid Man, and especially can't wait to see your solo and talk with you again!
DeleteHi Carl,
DeleteI had the pleasure of seeing you for the very first time at the Cluny last Wednesday in Newcastle and I have to say I am still on a high from the fantastic experience. I was absolutley blown away by the sheer skill, sound, fun element and utter incredible musicianmanship (if that`s a word)- I have been a drummer myself since 1968, still have our original little band together but I can honestly say that you inspired me to practise more and improve even at this stage of my playing- I only wish I`d been able to see you more over these previous years but I am eagerly awaiting and looking forward to the next time you are near enough to come and see- my favourite treat of the night was when the band played Holst _ Schizoid man- what a treat!!!- all the best- Kelly Davis
Hi Carl (+ Paul & Simon) - I was at the embarrassingly poorly-attended show at the Birmingham Town Hall on Thursday night, but no matter, it was simply stunning! You guys certainly produce some very interesting sounds together, much thanks to Simon's guitars of course, and your own playing just refuses to wane, you remain utterly brilliant and still one of my favourite drummers (if not the)! The set-list was also excellent, I was so pleased to be there. Rock on 'Legacy'! Cheers. Steve Reynolds
DeleteThank you so much for the truly awe-inspiring set at the Cheese and Grain last night. As a punter and sound engineer i've seen thousands of bands in the past 30 years and yours my friend has to be the best, not only for technical brilliance but for the soul and humour you put into the show. My friends and i were left quite literally breathless!
ReplyDeleteSaw you last night at The Cluney in Newcastle upon Tyne and have to say a massive Thank You for a fantastic performance, truly awe inspiring and we loved every minute. x
ReplyDeleteCaught the show at The Stables, Milton Keynes last night!
ReplyDeleteI expected it to be good, but it was awesome! you still play with the energy and enthusiasm of an 18 year old! congratulations, best gig ever!
are you going to be releasing a cd of the concert??
Please come to America (Boston?) if you can Carl, have not had the pleasure of seeing you since the ELP/Deep Purple show back in the 90's in Mansfield, MA. What a truly grand show that was, one of the best shows I've ever seen (and I have seen them all, from ELP to the Stones to The Who to Paul McCartney to Robert Plant & Jimmy Page to Lou Reed to Iggy Pop to Todd Rundgren to Elton John and on and on)....love ya!
ReplyDeleteGeorge McNamara
Leominster, MA
hi carl came to ipswich and norwich . two great shows . my mum joined us at norwich and just loved it . been a massive fan of yours since the late 70s keith and sharon lebbell norwich
ReplyDeleteAttended St Albans on Sat 22nd Feb and was literally blown away. All brilliant but the second half especially was mind-numbing (Carmena Burana - awesome....Pictures - what can I say!) Paul and Simon's guitar work was extraordinary and Carl's drumming was totally in another league. Truly inspirational. Thanks for a great evening.
ReplyDeleteCarl really looking forward to buying your new "Decade" release on dvd, can't believe
ReplyDeletethe title it's so funny, it will be great to see how you have interpreted all those songs
you did all those years ago, but bringing it back in your own musical format, can't wait!
Yes, fantastic stuff
ReplyDeleteCarl, I would SO LOVE to see you work with Rachel Flowers.
ReplyDeleteFabulous stuff and without doubt unique
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a kid the poster from Brain Salad Surgery hung over my bed, so your face was the first and last thing I saw every day. And after all these years, it still looks the same. Happy Birthday Carl! No matter how many years may come and go, you will always be my Forever Superstar.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday to you, Carl! And many many happy returns of the day! You are the best.
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Carl!!
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday Carl, and I hope to see you again in Buenos Aires.
ReplyDeleteMagda
Happy Birthday, Carl!
ReplyDeleteELP Legacy is sure to take audiences back to an era when fans listened to the entire drum solo,, along with an amazing and perfect show!
Happy way-belated Birthday, Carl!
ReplyDeleteHope you do a write-up on your Monsters of Rock cruise, and that you, Paul, Simon and Bruce P. all had a terrific time on it. I'm currently enjoying the work you, Geoff, Sam & John did on ASIA's "Gravitas" very much! Hope to see you play again in your Legacy and/or ASIA this year, somewhere in California! Judy W.G.
Hi Carl,
ReplyDeleteare you planning a tour in Italy soon?
Kindest regards
Luciano from Rome
Dear Carl,
ReplyDeleteThis is my first time on your Guestbook, though I recently joined JW's through ASIA's website. I just wanted to say that you are one of my all-time favorite drummers, and have been since I discovered ELP and ASIA back in my high school days. "Wildest Dreams" and "Holy War" are among the best ASIA songs, because you play so complementary and yet so forcefully. I look forward to seeing ASIA in the United States this fall -- maybe in South Carolina or Georgia! JL
Dear Mr.Palmer,
ReplyDeleteWhen will we in Brazil see your artwork personally and enjoy your show alive? Until this day comes I'll enjoy yours and ELP material on the internet. And why did BBC ban Jerusalem?? It's magnificent! I've played this recording to my students many times in English Literature classes...
All the best to you and your family, Mr. Palmer
Maiaty
Carl, I've been your fan since I was 13 years old. Please don't skip Connecticut on this tour.
ReplyDeleteHi Carl,
ReplyDeletejust saw you last night at grand ballroom in NYC...regrets that you were the first band playing...wish they headlined you for the evening...still an excellent set and superb drum solo!...you are even better than before...thanks again Carl!
Hi Carl,
ReplyDeletesaw you ply twice in Hamilton On, always a super experience, you are a very charismatic performer, the best on the drums/percussion in my view , have also seen you In Toronto in the past , definitely the highlights of my life. Thanks for making life more colorful, Judy
Hi Carl. I spoke to the manager of The Katherine Hepburn Cultural Arts Center (The Kate) in Old Saybrook Connecticut a few days ago, and I asked him if you were coming back there, and he said no, but they would love to have you because tickets sold very well for your show the last time you were there. (Hint hint!)
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on your daughter's engagement Carl. I hope she found someone who's half as great as Dad!
ReplyDeleteHi Carl and Katie. So excited- T-minus one hour till the Asia show starts here in Dallas, TX. We'll be with you in Atlanta, GA too in a few weeks. Thanks for coming South again and please bring your Legacy Band to Dallas too :>) Love and Regards from your # 1 Fans- Tony "Tones" Giambri and Chanh
ReplyDeleteHi Carl and Katie, Wooo Hooo- ELP Legacy CPB comes again !!! See you guys tomorrow in Atlanta, GA.- 11/8/2014. Looking forward to another Iconic Performance and a hopefull meet and greet with some high-fives. Cheers and Regards from your number 1 Fans- Tones and Chanh in Dallas, TX. www.reverbnation.com/tonestunes
ReplyDeleteHi Carl, amazing show at Havana in New Hope, PA last night! First time I ever saw you in a venue like that where I could see you up close and personal. The show was insanely good, the drum solo was over the top! Can't wait til your next trip back to PA!!! -Bob
ReplyDeleteCarl you totally rocked the Met in RI last night! I can't wait to see you again. Thanks for signing my shirts as well :-) Keep up the amazing work!!
ReplyDeleteHi Carl and all in the Family and Band- you're all Family to me so here's to all of you.
ReplyDeleteI've been so busy and kept forgetting to write, so here it is now; excuse my Novel please :>)
I have to agree with Bob- the November 8th Atlanta Show was equally amazing. You are amazing Carl and have an amazing Band- you're just an "Amazing" Magnet. Your whole life has been surrounded with amazing Musicians :>) Thank God for CP- thanks for your Parents too- hehehe. Just fantastic playing Carl. I'm displaying my signed Drum heads proudly on my Studio walls where I can see them when I'm practicing.
What great songs and versions from the Classical repertoire too. Paul's sweet Solo of Claude Dubussey's "Claire de Lune"; Simon's "Queen" tribute; Wagner's "Die Valkuyrie"... Also, what I found so great was your Tributes to Keith and Greg by playing "21st Century Schizoid Man" following Gustav Holst "Mars" and also playing "America"- remembering "The NICE"- just so great- power, precision, dynamic and just ELECTRIC - of course your Solo was just unbelievable and artistic- as always !!! I know the UK is waiting for your return so we wish you all safe travels back home and rock em hard- CPB !!!
Some questions about your left hand technique- do you play with sort of a combination of the Moeller technique with a flavoring of Buddy Richs' finger technique? To me it almost looks like you do- but in your own version. Also, with your single stroke rolls- when you are playing at top speed- blinding speed I may add- are you rotating every stroke with your left hand wrist and/or using fingers too? I'm just curious because I started out playing traditional grip and switched to matched grip, but now for about a decade, I have been playing both and am working and practicing hard on sort of a combination of Moeller and finger technique in both hands but especially the left hand. I know the Percussion world mostly uses matched technique, but I've always admired the traditional masters such as yourself and Buddy Rich and Max Roach and and and...
as you well know :>)
When you catch your breath after this Tour, please don't forget to team up with Bruce to get some more "Applied Ryhthm's" Method Books printed and published. You'll sell everyone of them so it will be well worth it. We need that Book to compliment our vast Drumming instruction libraries from one of the greatest Drummers and Percussionists of the 20th and 21st Centuries- a True Drumming ICON- "Ladies and Gentlemen- CARL PALMER" !!!
Regards from your number one fans,
Chanh and Tony "Tones" Giambri
tonygiambri@hotmail.com
www.reverbnation.com/tonestunes
Hi Carl, I just wanted to wish you and Katie and all in your Families, Friends and Musicians circles a Happy Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year 2015. Thanks so much for all your hard work and playing and touring; you are a true Artist and the World wouldn't be the same without you. Thanks so much for your generousity to the "Camp Good Days and Special Times" cause. I recently bought a "Knifedge" Canvas so I'm touched that our money helped you do that- along with all your other Fans who purchased "Ryhthm of Light" art works. God Bless Carl and have a great upcoming UK Tour with Paul and Simon and we'll see you State side again in 2015.
ReplyDeleteRegards from your number one fans,
Chanh and Tony "Tones" Giambri
tonygiambri@hotmail.com
www.reverbnation.com/tonestunes
Gravesend 28/02/15
ReplyDeleteWow! The man still has it. Brilliant night. Great to hear there is still real music out there.
Linda (Maidstone)